HCV Frequently Asked Questions

I am currently a participant in the Housing Choice Voucher program and receive rental assistance, can I use my voucher to buy a home?
AHA does not currently offer a Section 8 Home Ownership program, therefore you would be unable to use your Voucher to purchase a home.
What other services are available for residents?

The Authority’s relationships with other organizations enhance the AHA’s programs by bringing needed services to our residents and helping our community get more value for each dollar spent. The AHA will continue to search for new partners who share our vision for safe, affordable housing for our citizens.

The Utility Allowance Sheet and Payment Standard is available.

To keep assisted housing affordable for lower-income households, federal housing law directs that the resident’s share of rent in federally assisted public housing should equal 30 percent of the household’s adjusted monthly income. In interpreting the federal housing law, HUD has defined the Total Resident Payment for “rent” to include both shelter and the costs for reasonable amounts of utilities. The amount that a PHA determines is necessary to cover the resident’s reasonable utility costs is the utility allowance.

Such allowances are estimates of the expenses associated with different types of utilities and their uses. The utilities for which allowances may be provided include electricity, natural gas, propane, fuel oil, wood or coal, and water and sewage service, as well as garbage collection. The functions, or end-uses, covered by an allowance may include space heating, water heating, cooling, refrigeration, lighting, or appliances. Allowances are not provided for telephone service.

Utility allowances can be small or large, ranging from less than $10 to over $200 for a resident household per month, depending on the PHA, the number of utilities and uses covered, and the dwelling unit and/or household size.